The Buddy Programme Rules and Regulations
The focus group will be players with 0-5 master points (The Partner) and players of 30+ master points (The Buddy)
To help beginner players (0-5MPs) who are keen to improve their game and their confidence by playing with a more experienced player for a 4 week period.
- Increased success
- Increased satisfaction
- Better bridge!
- The partnership should be for a limited time ie a maximum of 4 weeks aiming for once a week or twice a month.
- The buddy partnership should play together in the Red Row on a day of their choosing
- Discussion of the boards played can either be discussed at the end of a session, by email or over the phone, but not during the game. Looking at the results on Pianola can be a good way of opening the discussion. Training on the use of Pianola may be required.
- The games played together should be bid according to the basic bidding system. System cards will be provided.
- As a way of thanking their Buddy, the Partner should pay the Buddy’s playing fee for the session played.
- At the end of the buddy period, both participants will be asked to complete the questionnaire so that the Bridge Education committee can assess the programme.
For The Buddy:
- This is not a teaching platform, but rather encouraging The Partner to use skills they have already learnt in order to gain confidence in their game.
- Establish an environment for open interaction and encourage a two-way exchange of information.
- Share successes as well as failures
- Praise in order to build confidence
- Lead by example
For The Partner:
- Establish specific goals with your Buddy in order to focus direction
- Seek and accept advice/constructive criticism
- Provide honest feedback to your buddy
- Keep your buddy informed of progress made
- Discuss the reason for participating in the programme
- Set 2 or 3 goals or objectives for the buddy relationship. Make notes if you feel if helps.
- Work out the details - when to play and the followup.
Ingredients for success:
- Before the next game meet up earlier than usual to review experiences since the last game together
- Open communication about feelings and experiences
- Enthusiasm and willingness from both sides with mutual interest
- Holding candid discussions on whether the programme is working
- Being aware of differences in personality and style
- Refer to the Pianola results email to discuss results. Sign up for the Pianola plus trial using the following link: http://www.pianola.net/plus. For more information about Pianola Plus including discount codes for Peninsula Bridge Club members click here.