Peninsula Bridge Club News
- Written by Cath Whiddon
Last Lessons for 2018
November Bridge Ed topic is COMPETITIVE BIDDING.
WEDNESDAY 31 October 9.30-11.30 - Lesson introducing, refreshing, revising takeout doubles - SUITABLE FOR BEGINNER GRADUATES & supervised players.
MONDAY 5 November 9.30-11.30 - Advanced Overcall lesson: Advancer's use of CUE BIDS - suitable for regular duplicate partnerships.
You can come without a partner. No registration required. No PPVs, $10/$15 cash paid to teacher on day.
MONDAY Evening Beginners Lessons 7-9 pm - call Susan Jensen: 0405061252
Supervised sessions: OVERCALLS - specially designed practise hands in our Supervised Session Tuesday 30 October, 2.15 for 2.30 start.- 4.30 finish with Cath Whiddon.
We use Bridgemates to score and PIANOLA emails to see best hand, most interesting. Come 15 minutes early for a warm-up practise hand on topic of the month.
- Mondays 7-9 pm
- Tuesdays 2.30 pm
- Fridays 9.30 am
- Cost: $7 Members, $12 Non-members. Vouchers and session cards can be used at all club supervised sessions (but not lessons). You can come without a Partner.
- Written by David Farmer
The 2018 AGM saw some changes to our management committee:
- John Rogers and Terry Rothwell did not renominate after several years of very valuable contribution as Committee members - they are still continuing to provide huge contributions in other areas
- Ken Watson joins the Committee - Ken is a long term club member, has been a committee member before and is our current Technology Working Group coordinator ensuring, in particular, that our computers work as they should and our critical data is backed up
- Susan Eason joins the Committee - Susan is a keen newer player and we look forward to her perspective and contribution to the Committee and the club.
- Written by David Farmer
This Week in Bridge looks at some further various aspects of defense in short articles useful for club and congress level players.
- "Opening leads: Jack denies, coded 10s and 9s" - coverage of an alternate approach, used by some, to leading from broken honour sequences.
- "Opening leads from AQTx+" - good coverage of a difficult but not so rare lead situation against no-trump contracts
- "Power shifts and surround plays" - excellent 3 page coverage of these effective leads for the defender over dummy
- Written by David Farmer
This Week in Bridge looks at various aspects of defense in short articles useful for club and congress level players.
- "Recognising danger in defense" - good 3 page introduction to the key starting point for defense.
- "Which suit to attack on defense?" - useful 5 page coverage of recognizing risky situations when leading a new suit in defense.
- "Giving declarer an ace/queen guess" - good 4 page coverage of a way of putting declarer under pressure.
- "Splitting honors on defense" - good 3 page discussion of which honour to play from touching honours when not on lead.
- Written by Bruce Kleem
This is a simple guide:
- Go to Home Page of Peninsula Bridge Club
- Click on - Pianola in the Quick Links box
- Click on - Partner Finder - in Top Row
- Click on - Create a Partner Finder Advert
- Choose - Date you wish to play
- Choose - Session Require
Note that when you submit a partner wanted advertisement you do not get a copy of the email ad yourself.
- Written by Sarah Young
We all have times when we want to fill a gap in our bridge calendar. The Club offers a wonderfully effective Partner Finder service provided through Pianola.
This is designed to be self-service and it is easy to use (see below for a simple guide) once you are logged in to Pianola. Members would have been sent an invitation to Pianola when they joined the club. If you can not now login to Pianola then:
- If you have previously logged in but have forgotten your Pianola password then use the Forgot my password link on the Pianola login screen - and wait for the password reset email to arrive
- Written by Susan Jensen
Whenever I attend one of Joan’s workshops, I come away thinking, ‘How does she do that? She makes something difficult seem so simple!’ Her next counting workshop at our Club will be no exception. Come along to learn a technique that will improve not only your game, but also the enjoyment of the game. See you there.
Check the workshop details and how to register. Presented by one of Australia’s best-known bridge teachers, Joan Butts, this workshop is multi-level and suitable for players of all abilities.
- Written by Jennifer Ardill
This month we have 2 copies of Conventions to Improve Your Strong Hand Bidding – Workbook by Joan Butts on the subject of the month covered by our Bridge Education Team – Strong Hand Bidding.
- Lesson 1 - Strong Unbalanced Hands
- Lesson 2 - Slam Bidding and Blackwood
- Lesson 3 - Cue Bidding to Slam
- Lesson 4 - Puppet Stayman
- Lesson 5 - Strong Balanced Hands
This workbook describes the bids and responses; has 4 boards of examples and a Quiz with answers. This enables the reader to work through the information practise the bidding and check their responses.
Page 1 of 61